I have been a social worker in a variety of settings in the field of mental health for the past twenty-two years.
I graduated from St. Vincent College with a Bachelor of Science degree in Psychology. St. Vincent has been ranked in the first tier of National Liberal Arts Colleges in the 2016 edition of U.S. News and World Reports best Colleges Guidebook. I continued my education by receiving my Master of Social Work (MSW) degree at the University Of Pittsburgh School Of Social Work.
During my training I was able to gain excellent knowledge through my work at Gateway Rehabilitation Center, Ligonier Valley Treatment Center, Mayview State Hospital – working on the Special Studies Unit as well as the Forensic Unit and at Western Psychiatric Institute and Clinic.
I began my career immediately out of graduate school as a dual diagnosis therapist, treating clients and families who were struggling with both mental health and alcohol/other drug issues. I was able to enjoy other varieties of work experiences during my nine years at Mercy Behavioral Health including the following:
- As a mobile Crisis worker, on call day and night covering all of Allegheny County.
- As a hospital Liaison between Mercy Behavioral Health and Jefferson, St. Francis as well as Mercy Hospitals.
- I worked on the crisis phone line, helping walk in clients and doing assessments.
- I provided school based therapy as well as office based treatment to children and adolescents and their families.
- I was a trainer at MBH on a variety of subjects including: Anxiety disorders, Mood disorders, Alcohol and other drug issues, Stress management for clients and staff, Dual Diagnosis, Personality Disorders and Coping with Self Injury to name a few.
I have always strongly believed that in order for a therapist to be able to work in a private practice, one should be well educated in a variety of areas in order to serve the clients appropriately. This belief has lead me to enjoy the past twelve years working in private practice settings. I have enjoyed working with children, adolescents, adults and geriatric clients. Facilitating marital, family and group therapy has also been rewarding.
Currently I am working at Counseling and Trauma Services, specializing in trauma. I am trained in EMDR, Eye Movement Desensitization Reprocessing which provides me with the opportunity to work with my clients on a more intense level helping them cope with both past and current traumatic experiences.